My photo
There is a space between what we say and what we think, and that gap is never fully realized. But we can continue to try to connect the points, and eventually maybe we can get somewhere.

Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Unresolved Pictures

For my Typography class we were given a fun new assignment for this week. Our TA Shawn would send us an image and we had to write a 300+ word story, essay, poem, etc. on the imagery. Well... not necessarily on the imagery, but somehow related or... something.  This is the image and story I came up with:



Unresolved Pictures
A Short Story
by Hollis Maloney

We didn't know what to expect when we went to Jupiter. Like any other human who hadn't been outside the atmosphere, the idea of traveling into space was very expansive. All of my friends had tons of pictures from their travels throughout our galaxy- pictures of them jumping into the moons craters, pictures of them having sand fights on Mars, but I on the other hand had not been able to space-trot as most had. When I told people I had never been outside Earth they looked at me as if I had said I had never seen an alien (which of course I have), and then proceeded to tell me how much I'd been missing.

We boarded the spaceplane with about 32 or so other people. This was a smaller plane because we weren't traveling too far past our planet, and it would be a relatively quick ride there- just under 2 days. Even though there was snow on the ground, seeing as it was mid February, everyone was dressed for the warm sunny weather we would meet once we arrived. Some obvious tourists were wearing the cliche tourist outfit- their latex short suits with socks and sandals. You would think after hundreds of years after the end of individual fashion people would learn that socks and sandals looked ridiculous and made no real sense. But people will be people I guess.

We found our seats were at the very back of the plane, which I didn't mind. I had the seat next to the window which was all I cared about. I wanted to see everything on our way up there- the change in atmospheric colors, all of the stars we would be passing, and, once we got closer to Jupiter, all of the purple clouds that would be floating over the planet's surface. Purple clouds, in my opinion, were going to be the coolest thing about Jupiter.

I began to think about what it was going to look like once we got there. At this time of year the mid-low eastern domain of Jupiter in it's 5th section, where we were going, had the most beautiful weather. Sun all day and night, but always no more then 27 degrees celsius, and always a perfect light breeze. I couldn't wait to get out of the cold and into that picturesque warmth. I imagined myself sunbathing on the sand with nothing but the shapes of those purple clouds above me to think about.

The spaceplane attendant made the announcement that we would be, "taking off in 10... 9... 8..." A rush of excitement flew through me. "This is it!" I thought. "I'll finally be able to see what everyone else I know has seen! The Universe and I will finally meet!" I turned towards the window, anticipating the quick jolt of the lift off. "4... 3... 2..." I plugged in my head phones, turned on Daft Punk, and we were off!

1 comment:

  1. I love this story! It's so creative and imaginative, let alone well written. I'm am so proud you're my daughter!

    ReplyDelete