My photo
There is a space between what we say and what we think, and that gap is never fully realized. But we can continue to try to connect the points, and eventually maybe we can get somewhere.

Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Miracles

Today I woke up and found a butterfly on my living room curtain. It was small, light brown, with bark brown spots. It was so beautiful. I walked towards it to make sure it was still alive, and it started fluttering all over the ceiling. Surprised, I stepped back and waited for it to settle. He curled his way under the curtain and behind the window. I tried to rustle the curtain a little to try and help him out of the window and back outside, but he just climbed further up the curtain and towards the ceiling. I said to him, well mr. butterfly, if you want to stay there you can stay there. I had to get to work. 

So I left, and I figured since I had left the windows wide open he would find it's way out eventually. After a long sad day at work, and a nice refreshing walk home, I sat down to do a little painting. I'm working on this quote that I realized onto watercolor paper, and I'm painting around the cursived letters, so it takes a lot of meticulousness and focus. Suddenly I remembered mr. butterfly. I went over to the curtain and checked to see if he was still behind the window. When I didn't see him I figured he must have left us. But then I saw him on the windowsill! His wings were pressed together and he was upright, looking just like a dried leaf balancing on a ledge. I touched him slightly to see if he was still alive. When he didn't move I blew on him a little bit. He poked his head out of the bottom of his wings. He was sleeping upside down! I didn't know butterflies did that....

He started opening his wings and closing them slowly. I think he was waking up. I went to grab my camera but by the time I came back he was fluttering along the ceiling again. He dove straight for the curtain again! I told him he couldn't stay with us, because we couldn't take care of him the way he could take care of himself. So I proceeded to take the curtain off the rod and open it up on the table below. As soon as I did he flew up and out the open window. It was so perfect, but I immediately felt sad he had gone so quickly. I told him we would miss him. 

No comments:

Post a Comment